- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
Diabetes-friendly Italian dishes can be hard to come by, especially when they're loaded with carbs. Well, our Turkey Cacciatore is a guilt-free favorite that gives you the hearty flavors of an Italian classic, but with lighter ingredients that will help keep you on track! That's right, the carbs have been kicked to the curb, and instead, we loaded this dish with fresh veggies, turkey, and the traditional flavors of spaghetti sauce. It's a weeknight winner the whole family will love!
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 5 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound reduced-sodium deli turkey breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups reduced-sodium spaghetti sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
What to Do
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot. Add the bell peppers and onions, and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and garlic, and cook for 3 to 4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce, black pepper, and turkey. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes or until the turkey is heated through, stirring occasionally.
Just a Suggestion!
- If you'd like, you can sprinkle a bit of grated Parmesan cheese over each serving, like we did in the photo (not calculated in nutritional information).
- For more diabetes-friendly Italian dishes, check out our 5-star favorite, Beefy Stuffed Zucchini, this vegetarian-friendly Artichoke Basil Lasagna Rolls, or, if you're a fan of eggplant, we've got Easy Eggplant Recipes that will satisfy your craving!
- Save room for dessert! You're going to love our Creamy Tortoni, our silky smooth Tiramisu Pie, or for something colorful and fun, try our Cannoli-Stuffed Strawberries!
Read NextUnstuffed Cabbage Skillet
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 173
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4g 7 %
- Saturated Fat 0.6g 3 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 20g 39 %
- Cholesterol 35mg 12 %
- Sodium 612mg 25 %
- Total Carbohydrates 14g 5 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.2g 13 %
- Sugars 9.6g 0 %