Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
- SERVING SIZE
- 3/4 cup
- COOK TIME
- 1 Hr 25 Min
All other mac and cheese recipes pale in comparison to our Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese. You'll savor the creamy, cheesy taste as the flavors roll over your tongue. A new, healthier version of an American classic, our secret ingredient really takes this recipe to the next level! Our Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese is a fun dish for any age.
What You'll Need
- 1 pound butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces whole grain elbow macaroni (about 2 cups), cooked according to package directions
- 4 slices muenster cheese
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place squash on baking sheet.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife can easily pierce squash; let cool until able to handle, then cut in half. Scoop flesh from squash halves; discard skin. Mash squash and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt margarine. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper until combined. Add milk, whisking until smooth. Cook until thickened and bubbly, stirring often. Add mozzarella and Cheddar cheeses and whisk until cheeses are melted. Stir in squash and add pasta; stir until coated.
- Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Place mixture in baking dish and top with muenster cheese slices.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is golden and casserole is bubbly.
Before You Start Cooking!
- If you loved this dinner recipe, be sure to check out our collection of Healthy Pasta Recipes; 6 of Our Best Pasta Dinner Recipes.
- If you're wanting a few more delicious mac and cheese recipes to cook up this weekend, check out our Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese and Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese! Both are equally delicious, so don't expect it to be an easy choice!
- Fun Fact!
- If you're wanting a little wine with your Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese dinner, Burgundy is often the go-to bottle.
Read NextThree Cheese Macaroni and Cheese